Pages

Sunday, September 9, 2012

Money Saving Tips

The past few days I've been thinking about my goal so hard that I'm sure I've collapsed more than a few wave functions (kudos if you get the joke).  First order of business, trim the fat.  I'll share a few things that I do but I'm really more interested in what everyone else is doing.

1. Change Your Own Motor Oil

It can be intimidating if you've never changed your own motor oil before but the savings are more than worth it.  Most quick lube shops in my area charge around $90.00 for a fully synthetic oil change when you can get the same oil and a factory filter for around $30.00.  Depending on your oil change intervals you can save about $360 per year.  I change mine every 5000 miles just to err on the side of caution.


2. Cut Your Own Hair

This might be harder for women than it is for men but if you can master this skill you'll never have to pay for another haircut again.  Not the haircuts for men are terribly expensive, but $20.00 every few weeks that you don't have to spend on a haircut is money that you can keep in the bank. If your too scared to try this, wait until summer comes and cut your hair on the hottest day of the year.  If you make a mistake blame it on the weather.  You won't die if you go bald for a few weeks, don't worry hair grows.

  
3. Learn how to cook

It has been a few years since I started cooking, trust me when I say that I wouldn't want my worst enemy to eat the first few dishes I've ever made.  Eventually you'll learn to cook so well that you find the food you make is better than most restaurants.  Not only is cooking cheaper than eating out, it is way healthier than any of the crap you would eat at fast food joints.  It costs me around $4.00 a day to eat well, and that includes grass fed meats and organic produce.  BTW, $4.00 a day includes lunch and dinner.


4. Quit Smoking

This was actually one of the harder things for me to do.  Not only was it costing me a small fortune, it was costing me my health.  I tried numerous times to quit by cutting back but it never seemed to work for me.  At one point, everything I owned stank so much that I just decided to quit cold turkey.  For me that was the only method that worked.  As a pack a days smoker I'm saving around $63.00 a week.  Yea, cigarettes are $9.00 a pack in my area, I can probably retire at age 65 just by investing what I was spending on cigarettes every month.


5. Bring Lunch to Work

If you work at home, consider yourself lucky.  For the rest of us there are major savings to be had by bringing lunch to work.  Why spend $7.00-$10.00 a day on lunch when you can bring some dinner leftovers or a specially prepared lunch for a tenth of the price.  You'll get bored pretty quickly if all you know how to make is PB&J so it is best if you dust off your kitchen knives and learn how to cook.  I only spend at most 15 to 20 minutes making the next day's lunch and I do it while I'm making dinner.  Kill two birds with one stone and keep that $10.00 bill in your wallet.


How about it, what are some of the boring, weird or crazy things that you do to save a dollar?  Do let me know because I'm running out of ideas.

No comments:

Post a Comment